Pakistan – The deaths caused by toxic sweets in Karor Lal Esan sub division have reached to 28 in Layyah district of Punjab.
The deaths began last week after a man in Punjab province bought the treats to celebrate the birth of his son.
He and 11 other relatives are among the dead – in all 77 people were affected. Five remain in a serious condition.
Police have arrested two owners of a local sweetshop and one of their employees while the source of the contamination is investigated.
Officials suspect pesticide from a store next to the shop may accidentally have found its way into the laddoos.
After consuming toxic sweets, 10 people died on the first day while others were admitted to Nishtar Hospital and Civil Hospital in critical condition.
According to latest updates, one more child and a father of three children died in the hospital, raising the toll to 28. The hospital administration has discharged 12 other patients declaring them “incurable”.
The Punjab government has constituted a three-member committee to investigate the incident.
The provincial government has also issued directives to shift victims to Jinnah Hospital Lahore.